Hawkesbury App
Hawkesbury App
Voice of the People
Digital EditionEmergency NotificationsSupport UsENTER GiveawayCommunity ServicesReal EstatePublic TransportGames PuzzlesFind a PaperGet a Paper
Hawkesbury App

Bennett Looks to Rebuild Life After Court Dismisses ADVO

Hawkesbury App

09 February 2025, 6:30 AM

Bennett Looks to Rebuild Life After Court Dismisses ADVOMatthew Bennett is Looking Forward to a Happier Future


Matthew Bennett says he is looking forward to moving on with his life, focusing on his business, his children, and a new relationship, after a Windsor Court decision last Thursday dismissed an interim apprehended domestic violence order (ADVO) against him.


It took less than a minute for Magistrate Leanne Robinson to dismiss the order, which had been in place since July. Neither Bennett nor his former partner, Hawkesbury Councillor Sarah McMahon, appeared in court for the decision.

Both Bennett and McMahon had been subject to police issued ADVO’s since July last year when McMahon was arrested for unlawfully entering Bennett’s business premises on July 14, after a late night search of the Hawkesbury and Penrith for her former boyfriend. No charges were laid against her over the incident but she was issued with an interim ADVO. The following day, Bennett also became the subject of an interim ADVO based on allegations made by McMahon.


In November, police surprised Bennett when they withdrew the ADVO against McMahon without notifying him or his lawyer. Bennett said he was “extremely disappointed” with their actions as the protected person by the ADVO. “I only became aware of it when friends informed me of a Hawkesbury Post article and Miss McMahon’s social media announcement.”


McMahon was formerly a NSW vice president of the Liberal Party, former Hawkesbury Mayor and federal Liberal candidate for the seat of Macquarie. She was involved in a high profile, five year domestic relationship with local real estate agent, Bennett.


Bennett said he had initially hoped to move on quietly but now felt compelled to address what he described as serious and misleading claims circulating in the community. He stated that he left McMahon in December 2023 due to strain caused by ongoing social media posts and local political conflicts, and that the events leading to the ADVO unfolded months later on July 14, when police found McMahon on his business premises at night.


“Contrary to claims made by others, I was not in the building that night. In fact, I was not even in the Hawkesbury,” he said. “When I was alerted, I called the police.I was able to view events unfold through our building’s CCTV system.”


Bennett said he chose not to proceed with a statement to police at the time in order to protect McMahon and her career. He described the temporary ADVO against him as a procedural outcome and noted that after years together, the allegations only surfaced the morning after McMahon was found at his business.


“The irony is that I remained silent to protect Sarah, yet in return, I was met with an allegation of domestic violence,” he said. “The fact that the temporary ADVO has since lapsed without further action speaks for itself.”


Despite seven months of no contact, Bennett claimed McMahon had recently engaged with the ex-husband of his current partner, causing unnecessary distress to those uninvolved. “No one gained anything from it. Whatever her feelings toward me, I ask that she not involve others. It is time to move on.”


Bennett said he would not be engaging in further public discussion, adding that he wished McMahon well but hoped to focus on the future. “I sincerely hope Sarah finds the same peace and happiness. I hope she redirects her energy toward her family, her work, and the valuable contributions she makes to the community,” he said.


“For my part, I simply want to move forward. I ask for my privacy to be respected.”


McMahon responded to the HP's request for comment. She said: "Mr Bennett agreed to the interim ADVO where I was the protected person and it lasted its full term, expiring on 6 February 2025. I never accepted the allegations made against me and after presenting evidence to the NSW Police to this effect, they officially withdrew the ADVO on me in November 2024. This was the right decision, and my children and I look forward to no further comment at this time, on what are exceptionally private matters."